1. Did you know that the Bodega Bay Tour originally started in Sebastopol? The tour wound it's way through famous Florence Avenue in downtown Sebastopol, (home to Patrick Amiot's creative yard art), and made a stop at the very charming gift shop and farm, Rose & Thorn, along the way. A few months later, it became very apparent that more folks wanted the tour to start in Bodega Bay so we made the switch and never looked back.
2. Did you know that Gay Lynn was 5 1/2 pregnant when she first recorded The Bodega Bay Tour in 2006? She had morning sickness throughout the duration of the pregnancy and that is why you will hear a bit of a scratchy tone in her voice - a symptom occurring from months of coughing. The tour has been updated a few times here and there over the past 10 years and Gay Lynn has tried her best to match the scratchy tone to make it appear seamless. If you listen carefully, you can hear the difference between the original recording and the updates.
3. Did you know that Sonoma Driving Tours was actually Sonoma County Tours from 2003-2011? We started our business as a sightseeing bus tour and continued until the fall of 2005 after the insurance for the bus became too expensive. We sold the bus, shut our doors for about 6 months and rewrote the business plan and changed the format of our tours to an audio Cd. We operated as Sonoma County Tours through 2010 and then changed our name to Sonoma Driving Tours in 2011.
4. Did you know that we originally wanted to call our business The Sonoma County Movie Tour? Our tour bus was equipped with a television and the plan was to take folks around to the various movie locations and show them the video footage to match the destination. Copyright laws prohobited us from moving forward with that tour but it's always been in the back of Gay Lynn's mind to make it a driving tour. We did offer other tours and they included The Treats of San Francisco, The 3 Hour Tour, Backroads, Redwoods & Champagne, The Secret Garden Tour and the Garden Wineries Tour.
5. Did you know that Gay Lynn is naturally shy and likes to keep a low profile? She lives in Bodega Bay and frequents most of the stops on The Bodega Bay Tour with her family. After sending thousands of tourists around the coastal town, she figures that one of these days she'll eventually bump into someone listening to her tour while she's enjoying a hot dog at The Dog House and they'll recognize her voice. How will she react she wonders? We'll keep you posted when and if it ever happens.
In the meantime, we've been working on a fun little tour that takes you out of Sonoma county and into Marin that includes a wonderful lunch spot and a gorgeous historic lighthouse. Stay tuned!